LinuxDevices.com Archive Index (1999-2012) | 2013-current at LinuxGizmos.com | About  

Nokia selects Red Hat for carrier equipment

Nov 15, 2006 — by LinuxDevices Staff — from the LinuxDevices Archive — 1 views

Nokia's Network Business Group has selected Red Hat Linux as the primary OS for its carrier-grade server platforms, Red Hat reports. Nokia will integrate Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) on multiple FlexiPlatform products this year, with Red Hat providing onsite consulting, support, certification, and training services.

(Click for slightly larger view of the FlexiServer)

Nokia debuted its FlexiPlatform line in February of 2002, touting FlexiServer and FlexiGateway products as standards-based platforms for converged, “all-IP” voice and data networks. Claimed to be compliant with Service Availability Forum and Carrier Grade Linux (CGL) standards, the products were developed in cooperation with MontaVista, a CGL provider that competes with Red Hat.

Unlike MontaVista, Red Hat does not register its distribution with the OSDL's CGL specification. Instead, the company says it works with leading NEPs (network equipment providers), ISVs (independent software providers), and operators to define requirements and ensure that RHEL can be deployed in carrier-grade settings.

Registration notwithstanding, Red Hat said last month that RHEL incorporates 85 percent of Priority 1 requirements defined in the CGL specification, with the remaining 15 percent representing technology planned for future releases, or else “immature technologies that have not been accepted upstream or whose future is not clear.”

Paul Cormier, EVP of engineering at Red Hat, stated, “Working with Nokia, we plan to make our solution for the telecommunications industry even stronger.”

Juha Carlson, GM of network platforms, stated, “Our cooperation with Red Hat on Enterprise Linux is building on Nokia's experience and commitment to open ecosystems and technologies.”

Red Hat appears to be taking a growing interest in the telecommunications software market. The company last summer promoted its Telecom Partner program and, following its acquisition of JBOSS, joined joined OPUCE, an industry group defining a next-generation telecom platform for Europe. Red Hat has also touted its commitment to the SCOPE Alliance in the past.


 
This article was originally published on LinuxDevices.com and has been donated to the open source community by QuinStreet Inc. Please visit LinuxToday.com for up-to-date news and articles about Linux and open source.



Comments are closed.